- Probably the Best Picture nomination that stands out the most is Deadpool getting a nod for Best Picture Comedy/Musical (which is always the most random category). Ryan Reynolds also got a Best Actor nomination in the same category.
- Very happy to see a nomination for Sing Street in the Comedy/Musical category, even though I'm pretty sure this one is La La Land's to lose.
- Only seen two of the Best Picture - Drama nominees, so I have some catching up to do.
- Other than the aforementioned Ryan Reynolds nomination, nothing really stands out in the acting categories, which features all the usual subjects.
- I know that Dev Patel doesn't appear in Lion until halfway through the film, but he is undoubtedly the lead of the film and NOT a supporting actor
- You know that diversity hasn't caught on yet when five men are nominated for Best Director, with only one of them being non-white.
- My Life as a Zucchini stands out like a sore thumb in the Best Animated Film nominees
- I've seen one of the Foreign nominees and will probably see another by the time the Globes air
- This is actually one of the better years for Best Song nominees. I doubt the Oscars will be that different.
Monday, December 12, 2016
My Thoughts on the 2017 Golden Globe Nominees
Sean Patrick Kelly is a self-described über-geek, who has been an avid film lover for all his life. He graduated from York University in 2010 with an honours B.A. in Cinema and Media Studies and he likes to believe he knows what he’s talking about when he writes about film (despite occasionally going on pointless rants).