- Seeing Mad Mad: Fury Road among the five nominees for Best Picture - Drama really caused me to raise my eyebrows. I like the movie, but calling it Best Picture (or a drama) may be a bit of a stretch.
- As always, Best Picture - Comedy/Musical features the most bizarre definitions of comedies or musicals. The case in point this year is how The Martian somehow got a nomination in this category.
- Alicia Vikander solidifies her breakthrough year with two nominations in two separate acting categories.
- Has anyone heard of, let alone watched, Infinitely Polar Bear, which got Mark Ruffalo a nomination for Best Actor - Comedy/Musical?
- I haven't seen it year, but only two nominations for The Hateful Eight surprises me
- It would be really great if the stop-motion Anomalisa wins in the Best Animation category, showing that CGI is not the only way to go. Probably won't happen though.
- I've only heard of one of the foreign nominees, that being Son of Saul
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
My Thoughts on the 2016 Golden Globe Nominees
Sean Patrick Kelly is a self-described über-geek, who has been an avid film lover for all his life. He graduated from York University in 2010 with an honours B.A. in Cinema and Media Studies and he likes to believe he knows what he’s talking about when he writes about film (despite occasionally going on pointless rants).