Is it really that time again? The nominees have been announced for the 72nd Golden Globe Awards, which will be taking place on Sunday, January 11, 2015. While it has become apparent over the last few years that the Golden Globes is much more of a popularity contest than other award shows, I am pretty certain that most of the nominees on this year’s ballet will also show up come Oscar time.
Now it’s time for my obligatory random thoughts on the nominees:
- I’ve been hearing a lot about Best Picture, Drama nominee Selma (especially after it screened in Toronto last night). Will definitely try to see this one before the ceremony.
- Best Picture, Musical or Comedy is always a very eclectic selection. The film that stands out on the list this year is the film Pride, which I would argue is neither a musical or a comedy (despite having comedic moments)
- David Oyelowo is the new Chiwetel Ejiofor when it comes to hard to hard to pronounce names
- Julianne Moore has a nomination in both Best Actress categories. On a similar note, apparently David Cronenberg’s Maps to the Stars was supposed to be a comedy.
- I’ve seen all but one of the animated nominees. Will be a hard category to call.
- No Mommy for the Foreign Language Film categories. I guess Canada isn’t foreign enough for the Hollywood Foreign Press.
- David Fincher is the only Best Director nominee to not also have a nomination in one of the Best Picture categories, which likely means he won’t win.
That’s all that I can think of for now. We’ll see how things turn out in a month.