The film features five segments, and a framing story, each directed by a different indie horror director. The framing story, directed by Adam Wingard (You're Next), has a group of five hooligans breaking into a house to find a VHS tape. The problem is that they end up finding a whole pile of said tapes and one-by-one, they begin to watch the horror contained within.
Each of the tapes featured a different subgenre of horror:
- The first segement, directed by David Bruckner (The Signal), involves a group of guys picking up a woman that isn't what she seems.
- The second segment, directed by Ti West (The Innkeepers), involves a stranger invading a vacationing couple at night.
- The third segment, directed by Glenn McQuaid (I Sell the Dead), is a slasher film with a ghostly twist.
- The fourth segment, directed by Joe Swanberg (Silver Bullets), is a ghost story told with webcams.
- Finally the fifth (and best) segment, directed by the collective Radio Silence, is a haunted house tale.