The first film screened was a special presentation of a film that I regretted not seeing when it played last September at the Toronto International Film Festival - Juan of the Dead. The film is a Cuban zombie comedy, which, like Shaun of the Dead, has a name that is play on George R. Romero's most popular zombie film Dawn of the Dead.
Speaking of Shaun of the Dead, I couldn't help but notice some vague plot similarities between that film and Juan of the Dead. Here a quick list of the similarities I noticed:
- Both are named after the title character.
- The title character of both has a somewhat overweight best friend
- Both films feature a comedic use of violence (especially in the initial zombie encounter)
- Both films feature the title character checking on a loved one (Shaun's ex-girlfriend, Juan's daughter)
- Most humorously, both feature a highly choreographed zombie fight.